As homeowners, we know that as time passes, many parts of our homes will need repair. But we do not often think of our home’s foundation as something that could need our attention. Yet foundations are subject to changes in the soil on which they are built, weather conditions and many other factors.
Signs Of Foundation Problems
In an article at HouseLogic.com, Jeanne Huber lists four major indoor signs that your foundation may need repairs:
- Doors do not close properly – they either jam or do not latch;
- Major cracks develop over doorways and windows, or where walls adjoin ceilings;
- Vinyl or ceramic tiles that are laid over a concrete floor develop cracks; and
- Windows no long close properly or at all.
While some cracks on the exterior of a concrete foundation are caused by the concrete shrinking as it originally cured, other cracks may be indicative of the need for a professional like Edens Structural Solutions to check the status of your home’s foundation.
What A Foundation-Repair Company Can Do For You
It is important to get a foundation-repair professional who is knowledgeable about the foundation-design process and has lots of experience in foundation repair. In addition, look for a professional who works closely with contractors and has a great track record of diagnosing structural and foundation problems and proposing creative solutions.
This professional will:
- Do a thorough inspection of your home’s foundation;
- Offer you a written report outlining the deficiencies found, what the causes were and the proposed solutions; and
- Provide you with a written proposal you can submit to your insurance company for potential reimbursement.
This written proposal could also be taken to the bank if you end up needing a loan to pay for extensive repairs.
The good news is that most of the, cracks in your foundation do not necessitate expensive repairs. But it is important to have a foundation repair professional like Edens Structural Solutions to evaluate the cracks, just in case, and complete whatever foundation repairs may be necessary.
Edens offers a free consultation where they will:
- Send one of their Edens structural professionals to your home;
- Conduct an evaluation of your foundation issues; and
- Give you an estimate of what your foundation needs.